Friday, March 23, 2012

Welcome Disgrace!

Hi!  I'm Jake!

Lately, I have been reading Lao Tzu's Tao Te Ching.  Great book.  Ancient Chinese philosophy.  I started reading it in 2004.  I am on page 13. I am thankful I can read!

Today's entry is based on page 13:


"Welcome disgrace as a pleasant surprise.
Prize calamities as your own body.


Why should we 'welcome disgrace as a pleasant surprise?' 
Because a lowly state is a boon.
And so is losing it!
That is why we should 'welcome disgrace as a pleasant surprise.'


Why should we 'prize calamities as our own body?'
Because our body is the very source of our calamities.
If we have no body, what calamities can we have?


Hence, only he who is willing to give his body for the sake of the world is fit to be entrusted with it.
Only he who can do it with love is worthy of being the steward of the world."


I'm going to focus on the first part, specifically "a lowly state is a boon."  Here are 3 Things I Am Thankful For because of my lowly state.


1. Charities Don't Ask Me For Money.
This is pretty self-explanatory.  Besides my alma mater, Hastings College, & homeless people nobody ever asks me for donations.  I am below the poverty line. Charities know they should be giving me money.

As far as my college goes, about once a year, Hastings College pays 1 of their students to call all HC alumni & ask for donations for scholarships, remodeling, etc.  I always tell them "I graduated in 2000.  Twelve years later & I am still paying off my student loans.  I still owe $8,000! So, I can't give you money, but I can save you 80 grand. Just drop out."

Anyway, besides my school, nobody really pesters me for money.  I am thankful for that.

2. Poor People Get Unemployment Benefits.
Right after September 11, the economy took a dump & I got laid off.  I went on unemployment for a year. I got paid $300 a week in benefits.  That whole year, I smoked weed & played video games.  You can make the system work for you! I am thankful for that.

3. "A Lowly State is a Boon. So is Losing it!"
I can't possibly be poor forever! One day, I'll either have enough money to pay back my creditors or I'll die without paying them back.  So, either way, no reason to stress over my debt. I am thankful for that.




Well, this Tao Te Ching page clearly had a ton of content.  I'm sure I will revisit it with even better reasons why I am thankful for my lowly state & my disgraceful body.

Till, then, I am thankful you read my entry.

Bye!  I'm Jake!

No comments:

Post a Comment